Arsenal transfers: Liverpool boss Rodgers silent on Suárez
Arsenal transfers: Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers refuses to be drawn any further on the transfer saga surrounding Luis Suárez
Brendan Rodgers refused to be drawn any further on the transfer saga surrounding Luis Suárez when quizzed about the Liverpool striker on Thursday.
The 26-year-old’s future has been a source of relentless speculation in recent days after the Uruguay international made public his desire to leave Anfield last week.
Arsenal have so far had two bids rejected for the want-away forward this summer, with the latest reports claiming that the Gunners are considering making a third £49m offer for the striker.
But after Suárez denied claims he said he will stay at Liverpool on Wednesday, Rodgers dodged questions about the controversial striker a news conference at Melwood.
Rodgers said: “From our perspective, there’s been a standpoint within the club and myself of where it was at – and that hasn’t changed.
“There’s nothing to be said that hasn’t already been said. I’m sure it’s great for you guys and whatnot but I’m sure people are fed up listening about it to be honest.
“What I want to do is concentrate on is the players that are available for this weekend, so I won’t be speaking any more about Luis Suárez until he is available.
“Because the players that have been working ever so hard over the course of the last few months, out of respect for the them, I want to only speak about them.”
Suárez on Wednesday denied a report claiming that he is planning to stay at Liverpool beyond the summer.
“I didn’t say that, maybe someone else did and the main thing is that I am here now with the national team,” said Suárez.
The striker was previously quoted as saying: “For now, because of all the affection of the people, I will be staying.”