Everton’s McCarthy ‘gutted’ to see Trapattoni quit Rep of Ireland
Everton midfielder James McCarthy admits he is "gutted" to see Giovanni Trapattoni leave the Republic of Ireland on Wednesday
James McCarthy admits he is gutted to see Giovanni Trapattoni walk away from the Republic of Ireland – and has thanked the Italian for his role in the midfielder’s Everton move.
The 22-year-old was part of the Ireland side that suffered a 1-0 loss to Austria on Tuesday night, effectively ending the country’s chances of reaching next summer’s World Cup.
McCarthy made his first Ireland appearance against Brazil under the Italian’s stewardship in 2010, and the playmaker has gone on to earn a further 17 caps for the national side.
Trapattoni even played a part in the midfielder’s switch to Everton from Wigan Athletic on deadline day, and McCarthy praised the 74-year-old’s contribution to his career – and Ireland.
“He stuck by me, gave me my chance and has been good for my career, so I’m disappointed to see him go. I’m gutted, to be honest,” McCarthy told a news conference on Wednesday.
“It’s just one of those things. The FAI have had a meeting today and decided it’s the time for him to go. Like I say, it’s disappointing because the players enjoyed working with him.”
He added: “When I spoke to him last week it said it was no bother to report on the Tuesday morning first thing.
“He said hopefully everything would work out [with the move to Everton] and thankfully it did. I’m grateful that he allowed that to happen.”