Italian Grand Prix 2013: Sebastian Vettel sets Friday practice pace
Italian Grand Prix 2013: Sebastian Vettel tops the timesheets in second practice ahead of Red Bull team-mate Mark Webber
Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel topped the timesheets in the second practice session for Sunday’s Italian Grand Prix ahead of team-mate Mark Webber.
The defending world champion, who won at Spa two weeks ago to extend his drivers’ championship lead, finished the second session at Monza more than six-tenths clear of the Australian.
Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen was third-fastest in the second session, while Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton was sixth-quickest after the Briton topped a tight first practice session at Monza.
“It will be very tight this weekend, as we saw in the first practice,” said Vettel after the second session.
“It will be close tomorrow in qualifying with quite a few cars separated by only a few hundredths of a second.
“There are a few things we still need to do to optimise the car, as there are two or three corners where we are sliding more than we would like. It’s positive today, but it’s only a Friday.”
Webber, meanwhile, was pleased with his car’s pace in practice but know better than to get carried away with the result.
“We seem OK here, although it’s only Friday,” said Webber. “We seemed good on Friday in Spa and then everyone was with us in P3. But, that said, the car feels good although we have some work to do to prepare for the race, so let’s see tomorrow.”
Conditions were hot and dry on Friday, which is expected to be the case for the rest of the weekend. The drivers used only the hard tyre during the first 90-minute session this morning, before trying out the medium tyre as well in the more representative qualifying and race conditions in the afternoon.
Italian Grand Prix 2013: Friday practice (combined times)
1. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault 1m 24.453s
2. Mark Webber Australia Red Bull-Renault 1m 25.076s
3. Kimi Raikkonen Finland Lotus-Renault 1m 25.116s
4. Romain Grosjean France Lotus-Renault 1m 25.116s
5. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 25.330s
6. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 25.340s
7. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 25.367s
8. Felipe Massa Brazil Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 25.519s
9. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1m 25.532s
10. Sergio Perez Mexico McLaren-Mercedes 1m 25.627s
11. Paul di Resta Britain Force India-Mercedes 1m 25.830s
12. Esteban Gutierrez Mexico Sauber-Ferrari 1m 25.888s
13. Adrian Sutil Germany Force India-Mercedes 1m 26.028s
14. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Williams-Renault 1m 26.138s
15. Jean-Eric Vergne France Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 26.224s
16. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Sauber-Ferrari 1m 26.385s
17. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 26.387s*
18. Valtteri Bottas Finland Williams-Renault 1m 26.802s*
19. James Calado Britain Force India-Mercedes 1m 27.041s*
20. Max Chilton Britain Marussia-Cosworth 1m 27.548s
21. Charles Pic France Caterham-Renault 1m 27.696s
22. Giedo van der Garde Holland Caterham-Renault 1m 27.771s
23. Jules Bianchi France Marussia-Cosworth 1m 28.057s
24. Heikki Kovalainen Finland Caterham-Renault 1m 28.192s*
25. Rodolfo Gonzalez Venezuela Marussia-Cosworth 1m 29.526s*