Singapore Grand Prix 2013: Pole-sitter Vettel admits qualifying nerves
Singapore Grand Prix 2013: Sebastian Vettel takes pole position for Sunday's race ahead of Nico Rosberg and Romain Grosjean
Sebastian Vettel reflected on some “strange” moments after the Red Bull driver took pole position for Sunday’s Singapore Grand Prix.
The German sat out the final minutes of the session as Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg came close to pipping him to pole.
But the defending world champion will start from the front of the grid, with Lotus’ Romain Grosjean third at the Marina Bay Circuit.
“It was a strange feeling at the end of Q3,” said Vettel, whose Red Bull team-mate Mark Webber came fourth ahead of Lewis Hamilton.
“It’s already strange when you stand in the garage with only two minutes left in the session, but much worse when you see the others making their final attempt and there’s nothing you can do!
“I was watching the sector times closely with Romain, Nico and Mark [Webber] in particular. Mark started with a purple time in sector one, then Nico went purple in sector two and then Romain, but fortunately my last sector was fast enough to just stay ahead.”
He added: “It’s a great feeling as it could have gone wrong, but I’m very happy with the result. The car has been phenomenal all weekend.
“Yesterday the gap to the front was a bit of a surprise, but today was a bit more what we expected with the Mercedes being so close.”
Singapore Grand Prix 2013: Qualifying times
1. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault 1m 42.841s
2. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 42.932s
3. Romain Grosjean France Lotus-Renault 1m 43.058s
4. Mark Webber Australia Red Bull-Renault 1m 43.152s
5. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 43.254s
6. Felipe Massa Brazil Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 43.890s
7. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 43.938s
8. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1m 44.282s
9. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 44.439s
10. Esteban Gutierrez Mexico Sauber-Ferrari no time Q3
11. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Sauber-Ferrari 1m 44.555s
12. Jean-Eric Vergne France Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 44.588s
13. Kimi Raikkonen Finland Lotus-Renault 1m 44.658s
14. Sergio Perez Mexico McLaren-Mercedes 1m 44.752s
15. Adrian Sutil Germany Force India-Mercedes 1m 45.185s
16. Valtteri Bottas Finland Williams-Renault 1m 45.388s
17. Paul di Resta Britain Force India-Mercedes 1m 46.121s
18. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Williams-Renault 1m 46.619s
19. Charles Pic France Caterham-Renault 1m 48.111s
20. Giedo van der Garde Holland Caterham-Renault 1m 48.320s
21. Jules Bianchi France Marussia-Cosworth 1m 48.830s
22. Max Chilton Britain Marussia-Cosworth 1m 48.930s