Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2013: Red Bull’s Vettel tops Friday practice
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2013: Sebastian Vettel heads team-mate Mark Webber in a Red Bull one-two in second Friday practice
Newly-crowned world champion Sebastian Vettel headed team-mate Mark Webber in a Red Bull one-two in second practice at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
The German was 0.155 seconds quicker than the Australian, with Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton third from Lotus’s Kimi Raikkonen.
Mercedes’ Nico Rosberg was fifth from the McLarens of Sergio Perez and Jenson Button.
“It’s difficult to say today how we compare to the others, we know the Lotus is quick here, but we also had decent pace today,” said Vettel afterwards.
“It’s not always so easy at this circuit with the conditions changing throughout the day; we start in the sun and finish at night and the track temperature changes during that time. But, no big issues, so I’m pretty happy.”
Webber added: “The second session today was more representative of the race and qualifying than the first, due to the time of day and temperatures. It was a lot about the tyres today; I think the soft tyre will hold out better here than it did last week.
“It wasn’t a bad feeling for the first day, we got the information we needed, so let’s see how we get on tomorrow. We’ll go through everything tonight and try to understand the car on both tyre compounds.”
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2013: Friday practice (combined times)
1. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault 1m 41.335s
2. Mark Webber Australia Red Bull-Renault 1m 41.490s
3. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 41.690s
4. Kimi Raikkonen Finland Lotus-Renault 1m 41.726s
5. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 41.758s
6. Sergio Perez Mexico McLaren-Mercedes 1m 42.006s
7. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1m 42.010s
8. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 42.171s
9. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Sauber-Ferrari 1m 42.324s
10. Felipe Massa Brazil Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 42.440s
11. Esteban Gutierrez Mexico Sauber-Ferrari 1m 42.509s
12. Romain Grosjean France Lotus-Renault 1m 42.607s
13. Paul di Resta Britain Force India-Mercedes 1m 42.806s
14. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Williams-Renault 1m 42.952s
15. Adrian Sutil Germany Force India-Mercedes 1m 42.998s
16. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 43.152s
17. Jean-Eric Vergne France Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 43.271s
18. Valtteri Bottas Finland Williams-Renault 1m 43.565s
19. Giedo van der Garde Netherlands Caterham-Renault 1m 44.138s
20. Jules Bianchi France Marussia-Cosworth 1m 44.459s
21. Charles Pic France Caterham-Renault 1m 44.525s
22. Max Chilton Britain Marussia-Cosworth 1m 45.565s
23. James Calado Britain Force India-Mercedes 1m 45.924s *
24. Heikki Kovalainen Finland Caterham-Renault 1m 47.670s *
25. Rodolfo Gonzalez Venezuela Marussia-Cosworth 1m 49.565s *