Chelsea boss Mourinho delivers Torres injury update
Chelsea striker Fernando Torres is ruled out of action until after the international break due to a muscular injury
Fernando Torres has been ruled out of action until after the international break due to a muscular injury, Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has confirmed.
The Spain forward, who was substituted in the second half of Saturday’s 2-0 defeat at Newcastle, missed training on Tuesday ahead of the Blues’ clash against the Bundesliga side at Stamford Bridge.
“He is out,” said Mourinho of Torres. “Fernando we know is a muscular injury, we don’t know the dimension [of it], we have to wait for the scans tomorrow.
“But it’s easy to say that tomorrow he’s out and out for the weekend, too.
“After that comes the international break and let’s see if he can recover in that period.”
Mourinho also confirmed that defender Ryan Bertrand picked up a knock in training and will also miss Wednesday’s game.
“Bertrand is injured, just today in training. I cannot say what… but he’s out of selection,” he added.
Mourinho is backing strikers Samuel Eto and Demba Ba to fill the void left by Torres in the coming days, despite the pair only having scored one goal between them so far this term.
“Samuel and Demba work to play,” said the Portuguese coach. “They want to play, they are waiting for opportunities to play, so when they have that chance and they know they are going to have it in this game and the next game against West Brom, they have in their hands the job to play up front.
“I think it has to be a good motivation for them and hopefully they can express on the pitch the way they work during the week.”
MORE: Man United latest news
MORE: Arsenal FC latest news
MORE: Chelsea FC latest news
MORE: Liverpool FC latest news