Malaysian Grand Prix 2014: Nico Rosberg sets practice pace
Malaysian Grand Prix 2014: Mercedes' Nico Rosberg sets the fastest time in second practice ahead of Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen
Mercedes’ Nico Rosberg pipped Ferrari driver Kimi Raikkonen to set quickest time in second practice ahead of the Malaysian Grand Prix.
Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel was third, ahead of Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso – both of them within 0.2 seconds of Rosberg.
“We’re just focusing on ourselves,” said Hamilton, who was forced to retire from the season-opening Australian Grand Prix.
It is still early days, we still have a lot of problems we need to solve
“You’re guess is as good as mine [how everyone stands]. The car feels quite good. On the longer run it is pretty tough but I think everyone is in the same boat.”
Defending world champion Vettel was satisfied with Friday’s sessions.
“We are more or less there in terms of pace, which is very good news,” said Vettel. “For everything else we have to be patient. It is still early days, we still have a lot of problems we need to solve.
“But when we get the package together we seem to be on the right page, so I’m looking forward to tomorrow and Sunday.”
Meanwhile, Vettel’s team-mate Daniel Ricciardo, who was seventh-quickest, added: “I think we learned quite a lot about the short run pace this morning.
“We were pretty pleased with the progress we made, but it could have been better with the long runs.
“I think we’ve got some room for improvement, but that’s what tonight’s for. Reliability was good today, so I think we’re pretty pleased with that.”
Malaysian Grand Prix 2014: Second practice times
1. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 39.909s 30 laps
2. Kimi Raikkonen Finland Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 39.944s 30 laps
3. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault 1m 39.970s 30 laps
4. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 40.051s 32 laps
5. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 40.103s 29 laps
6. Felipe Massa Brazil Williams-Mercedes 1m 40.112s 34 laps
7. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Red Bull-Renault 1m 40.276s 29 laps
8. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1m 40.628s 28 laps
9. Valtteri Bottas Finland Williams-Mercedes 1m 40.638s 35 laps
10. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Force India-Mercedes 1m 40.691s 34 laps
11. Jean-Eric Vergne France Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 40.777s 33 laps
12. Kevin Magnussen Denmark McLaren-Mercedes 1m 41.014s 20 laps
13. Adrian Sutil Germany Sauber-Ferrari 1m 41.257s 28 laps
14. Daniil Kvyat Russia Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 41.325s 32 laps
15. Esteban Gutierrez Mexico Sauber-Ferrari 1m 41.407s 34 laps
16. Sergio Perez Mexico Force India-Mercedes 1m 41.671s 25 laps
17. Romain Grosjean France Lotus-Renault 1m 42.531s 14 laps
18. Max Chilton Briton Marussia-Ferrari 1m 43.638s 20 laps
19. Jules Bianchi France Marussia-Ferrari 1m 43.752s 29 laps
20. Marcus Ericsson Sweden Caterham-Renault 1m 45.703s 31 laps
21. Kamui Kobayashi Japan Caterham-Renault no time 0 laps
22. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Lotus-Renault no time 2 laps