Didier Drogba not protected by his Chelsea history, warns Jose Mourinho
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says returning striker Didier Drogba is desperate to win more silverware
— Chelsea FC (@chelseafc) July 25, 2014
Jose Mourinho has warned Didier Drogba that he won’t be protected by his legend status at Chelsea after the striker sealed a return to Stamford Bridge.
The 36-year-old Ivory Coast international put pen to paper on a one-year deal to secure an emotional return to the west London side on Friday evening.
He is coming with the mentality to make more history
Drogba left Chelsea in 2012 after scoring the winning penalty in a dramatic shootout to claim the Blues’s first Champions League crown at the Allianz Arena.
The former Marseille man had scored a late equaliser to cancel out Thomas Muller’s opener for Bayern Munich and keep Chelsea’s hopes alive.
Drogba won the Premier League and FA Cup twice during Mourinho’s first reign, and the Blues boss said the veteran is desperate to win more silverware.
“He’s coming because he’s one of the best strikers in Europe,” Mourinho told Chelsea’s website.
“I know his personality very well and I know if he comes back he’s not protected by history or what he’s done for this club previously. He is coming with the mentality to make more history.”
Drogba scored 157 goals in 341 appearances for Chelsea during his first spell at the Stamford Bridge outfit before quitting the west London club.
The former Galatasaray forward will be hoping to add to his three Premier League titles, four FA Cups, two League Cups and Champions League.