Belgian Grand Prix 2014: It’s great to be back, says Lewis Hamilton
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: Lewis Hamilton tops the timesheets in second practice ahead of Nico Rosberg
Lewis Hamilton topped the timesheets in second practice for the Belgian Grand Prix as he led team-mate Nico Rosberg to a Mercedes one-two.
Hamilton was 0.604 seconds quicker than the German in the second session, with Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso third ahead of Williams’ Felipe Massa and McLaren’s Jenson Button.
“It’s great to be back in the car and it was feeling good out there today,” said Hamilton.
“The morning wasn’t as strong, but it definitely improved in the afternoon. As always, we still have work to do tonight, but overall today was OK.
“It stayed dry throughout both sessions but the forecast is wet for tomorrow, so it was important to maximise track time as this may be our last dry running before the race.
“We’ve seen rain so often here in the past and that can really mix things up – particularly when it’s wet in places and dry in others. Your visor is almost level with the ground, so it’s not like looking from above where you can see the different patches. That makes it really hard to pick out the areas where you can find grip, but it’s also a lot of fun.”
Earlier, Rosberg had edged out his Mercedes team-mate in the first practice session at Spa.
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: Second practice times
1. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 49.189s
2. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 49.793s
3. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 49.930s
4. Felipe Massa Brazil Williams-Mercedes 1m 50.327s
5. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1m 50.659s
6. Valtteri Bottas Finland Williams-Mercedes 1m 50.677s
7. Daniil Kvyat Russia Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 50.725s
8. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Red Bull-Renault 1m 50.977s
9. Kevin Magnussen Denmark McLaren-Mercedes 1m 51.074s
10. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Force India-Mercedes 1m 51.077s
11. Jean-Eric Vergne France Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 51.383s
12. Adrian Sutil Germany Sauber-Ferrari 1m 51.450s
13. Sergio Perez Mexico Force India-Mercedes 1m 51.573s
14. Romain Grosjean France Lotus-Renault 1m 52.196s
16. Kimi Raikkonen Finland Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 52.234s
15. Jules Bianchi France Marussia-Ferrari 1m 32.776s
17. Esteban Gutierrez Mexico Sauber-Ferrari 1m 53.955s
18. Max Chilton Briton Marussia-Ferrari 1m 54.040s
19. Marcus Ericsson Sweden Caterham-Renault 1m 54.050s
20. Andre Lotterer Germany Caterham-Renault 1m 54.093s
21. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Lotus-Renault no time
22. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault no time