The Chelsea striker was omitted from the Spanish line-up on Friday, despite Jose Mourinho confirming that he would start Saturday’s Premier League clash at Liverpool.
“I have spoken to our doctors and those at Chelsea, and I have have decided to leave him out because of the situation with his pelvis,” said Del Bosque.
“He may be able to play in Chelsea’s next game but that doesn’t mean that he doesn’t have some type of injury problem.”
Earlier on Friday, Mourinho expressed his thanks to the Spanish FA for allowing the striker some extra recovery time.
“We think he is ready to start the match tomorrow,” said Mourinho of Costa. “In the 15 days [the international break] he can rest and work.
“It is fantastic news for us. I thank the Spain FA for the decision that they made.
“The plan is to have period of complete rest after the match for a few days, and after that to continue the specific work he is doing without having a match to play on the weekend.”
MORE: Man United latest news
MORE: Arsenal latest news
MORE: Chelsea latest news
MORE: Liverpool latest news