Andrea Pirlo’s beard is the definition of manliness.
Its owner has become a cult hero of the current footballing generation and it is shaped almost as well as his passes on the pitch.
It has its own Twitter and Facebook pages, has turned hipsters green with envy, and has come to define the twilight years of the 35-year-old Italy international’s career.
Here, we bring you 24 reasons why it it is indisputably the best in the sport.
1. It looks good in the sun.
2. And in the rain.
3. And on the beach.
4. And close up.
5. It can be happy.
6. It can be pensive.
7. It knows how to unwind.
8. It’s always the centre of attention.
9. Just look at it in black and white.
10. It makes those who stand next to it look like children.
11. It arrives in style.
12. Every time.
13. Did we mention black and white?
14. People want to touch it.
15. It looks great on camera.
16. It commands respect from all.
17. Including football’s most respected.
18. It wears shades with class.
19. It has a knack of finding the camera.
20. And looks great with a border.
21. This photo.
22. And this one.
23. It’s a national treasure.
24. And simply because we can’t remember what life was like without it.