1. Liverpool’s record against Turkish opposition is impressive, having won six and only lost three games out of 11. Besiktas haven’t fared too well against English sides, winning just five times in 19 attempts.
2. The sides have met before in the 2007/08 Uefa Champions League group stage with Besiktas coming out on top in Istanbul 2-1. Bobo and a Sami Hyypia own goal led them to victory, but in the return game at Anfield, Besiktas were thumped 8-0, which is their heaviest defeat in Europe.
3. Liverpool have only won once in five away games against Turkish sides but have fond memories of Istanbul, having won the Champions League final famously against AC Milan at Ataturk Olympic Stadium in 2005.
4. Besiktas are unbeaten in six European home games (W4 D2), whereas Liverpool are without a win in four away games (D1 L3)
5. Slaven Bilic has been the coach of Besiktas since June 2013, but during his playing career, he starred as a defender for West Ham United and Everton.
6. Liverpool went out to Zenit St Petersburg on away goals in their last round of 32 tie in 2012/13.
7. Liverpool have won the Champions League on five occasions, and the Uefa Cup on three occasions, whereas the best that Besiktas have managed to achieve is two quarter-finals. One in the Champions League in 1987, the other in the Uefa Cup in 2003.
8. Demba Ba has scored twice in five matches against Liverpool having played for West Ham, Newcastle United and Chelsea during his time in England.
9. Liverpool have two players of Turkish descent within their ranks: Emre Can and Samed Yesil.
10. Liverpool won the first leg of the tie courtesy of a 85th-minute Mario Balotelli penalty which gives them the edge going into the second leg.
MORE: Man United latest news
MORE: Arsenal latest news
MORE: Chelsea latest news
MORE: Liverpool latest news