The England international’s current contract is due to expire in the summer of 2016 and the Arsenal boss said that the winger was “difficult to convince” before he signed a three-and-a-half year extension back in January 2013.
And Wenger is expecting a similarly slow process this time around as the north London club look to tie the 25-year-old down to a new deal.
“The first contacts have been established with the embassy! We will see how that progresses politically,” Wenger told a news conference on Friday.
“Walcott was difficult to convince (in 2013) and that is why it took us much time.
“I always wanted to keep him and I still want to keep him now.
“I want him to stay and be a regular player and fight for his place, but no matter where you go if it is a big club you have to compete for your place.”
Walcott has made just four starts for the north London club this season due to the knee injury which forced him to miss the second half of last season.
Nevertheless, the forward has still managed to score three goals in all competitions for the Gunners.
He played the final 30 minutes as Arsenal beat Manchester United 2-1 at Old Trafford to reach the FA Cup quarter-finals last week.
MORE: Man United latest news
MORE: Arsenal latest news
MORE: Chelsea latest news
MORE: Liverpool latest news