Rodgers delivers latest Liverpool injury update after Newcastle win
Brendan Rodgers reveals that Mario Balotelli is still struggling with illness after missing Liverpool's win over Newcastle
Brendan Rodgers has revealed that Mario Balotelli is still suffering from illness after watching his Liverpool side beat Newcastle United 2-0 at Anfield on Monday.
The Italy striker has not featured for the Reds since 22 March due to sickness and a knee problem – and the forward sat out the victory over the Magpies on Merseyside.
Liverpool return to action in Sunday’s FA Cup semi-final clash with Aston Villa at Wembley and Rodgers said Balotelli would be assessed in the build-up to that game.
Speaking at his post-match news conference on Monday night, Rodgers said: “Mario is still ill. He wasn’t quite fit enough for tonight but hopefully he’ll train during the week. He’s had on-and-off sickness issues.”
The Liverpool boss also confirmed that defender Mamadou Sakho would miss Sunday’s cup clash after the centre-half was ruled out for at least three weeks due to a hamstring injury he picked up at Blackburn last week.
And Rodgers confirmed that striker Daniel Sturridge sat out Monday night’s game due to a hip problem but could return this weekend.
The Northern Irishman continued: “Sakho will be three to four weeks, probably.
“Daniel was injured from the Blackburn game and just wasn’t right for tonight. It’s a problem with his hip.
“I’ll know more in the week, but he said he feels reasonably fine. We’re hoping by the middle of the week we’ll have a good indication of where he’s at, but hopefully he’ll be ready for the weekend.”