Arsenal transfers: Arsene Wenger coy on remaining summer plans
Arsene Wenger refuses to be drawn on his remaining plans for Arsenal during the summer transfer window
Arsene Wenger remained typically coy when quizzed on his remaining Arsenal transfer plans for the summer.
The Gunners have been linked with a host of players in recent days as the 2015-16 approaches, including the likes of Karim Benzema and Gonzalo Higuain.
I don’t rule it out. If we still can strengthen I will do it
Wenger has already brought Petr Cech to the club from Chelsea this summer as he looks to steer his side to their first Premier League title since 2004.
Arsenal, who finished third and won the FA Cup last season, continue to be linked with potential moves for a striker and a holding midfielder ahead of the new campaign.
But Wenger refused to be drawn into commenting on his transfer plans as his side prepare for this Sunday’s Community Shield clash with Chelsea at Wembley.
Asked about whether he could sign any more players this summer, Wenger told a news conference at Emirates Stadium on Tuesday: “I don’t rule it out and I don’t promise it. As I said recently in the press conferences, if we still can strengthen I will do it.
“But we have what is needed inside to be competitive so let’s focus on that.”
Asked if his side can be considered genuine Premier League title contenders next season, Wenger replied: “We want to improve. We know we will be better but it is difficult to know exactly how much better we will be.
“Let’s not forget that Chelsea won the title with a comfortable distance last year.
“Teams like Man City, Man United and Liverpool have all made big efforts in the market and it’s very difficult to speculate.”