Man United transfers: 7 things you need to know about Matteo Darmian
Seven things you need to know about Man United target Matteo Darmian amid reports of imminent Old Trafford move
1) Matteo Darmian started his career at AC Milan. He made his first-team debut under Carlo Ancelotti at just 16-years-old in the Coppa Italia. He also captained their Primavera youth team.
2) His World Cup debut was against England in the opening match of World Cup in 2014. Many were surprised that he started the match but he was exceptional, combining brilliantly down the right-hand side with Antonio Candreva to terrorise Wayne Rooney and Leighton Baines.
3) Darmian started his career as a centre-half due to the fact he is almost six foot tall. However, he has developed into an attacking full-back, comfortable on both sides of the defence but he prefers to play at right-back. He has the stamina and attacking prowess to make an excellent wing-back which would explain why Louis Van Gaal is keen to sign him up.
4) He won the Pallone Azzurro in 2014, a trophy awarded to the best player of the Italian national team for the previous year as voted for by fans. That demonstrates his quality when you consider his international team-mates include Andrea Pirlo, Giorgio Chiellini and Gianluigi Buffon.
5) The consistent quality of Darmian’s Torino performances earned him a place in the 13/14 Serie A team of the season.
6) Before Dani Alves signed a two-year contract extension at Barcelona, the Catalan club had lined up Matteo Darmian as his replacement once Porto’s Danilo had opted for Real Madrid.
7) Darmian has won two man-of-the-match awards in two matches against Roy Hodgson’s England.