Seven things you need to know about Liverpool signing James Milner
Tom Phillips talks us through seven things you need to know about Liverpool signing James Milner
1) Perhaps unfairly, James Milner has been described as one of the most boring footballers in the Premier League so traditionally someone had to do a parody Twitter account. Of course, this is not Milner’s actual Twitter profile but you can’t help but enjoy a few insights into what could possibly be the boring lifestyle of boring Milner. If you are on Twitter you definitely need to follow @BoringJamesMilner. No doubt the Twitter account will be a great follow whilst Milner is at Liverpool.
2) Milner has won Premier League titles. Yes Liverpool fans, Milner may be boring but he has played a crucial role in Manchester City’s success in recent years. During his time at Eastlands, Milner has collected two Premier League winner’s medals and he played a key part the aforementioned title triumphs. Can he do it again for the Merseyside side?
3) “Steve Gerrard, Gerrard, he kicks the ball 40 yards…” The Kop won’t get to see club legend Steven Gerrard changing the game with his long, diagonal balls to the wingers and creating some goal-scoring opportunities next season. Fortunately for Liverpool fans, Milner can ping the ball just as well as Gerrard. The passing sensation was a key part in City’s attacking approach under both Roberto Mancini and Manuel Pellegrini, providing some magnificent long ball passes with pinpoint accuracy. The midfielder just pings the ball to the target effortlessly so that he can even get the ball in the ballbag during training sessions. You cannot moan about talent like that, can you?
4) The above Vine highlights Gerrard’s consistent hairstyles during his 17 seasons at Anfield. Milner will also bring hairstyle normality to the dressing room, something Balotelli does not seem to know much about – or hats for that matter.
Milner has sported the same hairstyle since his professional debut with his hometown club, Leeds United. So rest assured Brendan Rodgers, you will not have to discipline Milner about a ridiculous hairstyle.
5) Liverpool players love a good selfie. In fact, they love making a good video, too. So does Milner buy into such social media antics? It appears Milner is not camera shy. The midfielder will no doubt feel at home with the likes of selfie lovers Balotelli and Coutinho when they Instagram their training events and finish everything with the hashtag #YNWA. Milner may need to work out how a selfie actually works, though.
6) With Gerrard gone to the city of Angels, Liverpool now have to find someone to replace their main set-piece taker. Milner no doubt provides a competent replacement for the former captain. He was a regular set-piece taker at The Etihad and at Aston Villa, too. The experienced midfielder will no doubt provide support on corners and free-kicks to support the likes of Daniel Sturridge and Danny Ings whilst also set an example for the likes of Philippe Coutinho on how to consistently assist from set-pieces. The midfielder can provide assists and goals when it mattered the most, just look at this last minute equaliser for City against Hull.
7) He is not a Scrooge. You would think one of the most boring footballers in history would also be a complete scrooge when he comes to the perennial event that is Christmas, but Milner clearly gets the Christmas bug every year. During his time at Man City, the midfielder decided to play a half-hearted role of himself and his boring personality in a tongue-in-cheek Christmas video. He also seems to have a sense of humour of being Mr. Boring in football. The Yorkshireman even had the cheek of disrespecting PG tips – what’s wrong with them James?!