1) New Tottenham signing Toby Alderweireld will join Jan Vertonghen at the heart of the Spurs defence next season. Not only are the two Belgian international team-mates, but they both began their careers playing alongside each other at Ajax so communication certainly shouldn’t be an issue.
2) Unfortunately for Alderweireld, he replaced Felipe Luis seven minutes from time in the Champions League final in 2014. His Atletico Madrid side were 1-0 up at the time but ended up losing the match 1-4 to bitter rivals Real Madrid following extra time.
3) Alderweireld spent last season on loan at Southampton. They had an option to buy the centre-half for £6.8M after a successful loan spell but Atletico cancelled the deal in order to sell to the highest bidder and he eventually joined Spurs for £11.5m. Southampton are prepared to take legal action over the transfer.
4) Alderweireld has won league titles in Holland and Spain. He won the Dutch Eredivisie three times in a row with Ajax under former Tottenham manager Martin Jol.
5) Despite operating as a centre-half for both Southampton and Tottenham, Alderweireld is first-choice right-back for national side Belgium under Marc Wilmots, whose entire back four is made up of central defenders.
6) Alderweireld’s slicked-back hairstyle has caused quite a stir in recent seasons. There are a number of styling tutorials online as there is serious demand for the ‘Toby Alderweireld Undercut’!
MORE: Man United latest news
MORE: Arsenal latest news
MORE: Chelsea latest news
MORE: Liverpool latest news