Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain: Arsenalwill respond to wake-up call

Arsenal midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain says the Gunners have learned from shock West Ham defeat

The Sport Review staff
By The Sport Review staff

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain says Arsenal are ready to respond to their wake-up call against West Ham ahead of their trip to Crystal Palace on Sunday afternoon.

The north London side, who have been widely tipped to launch a sustained Premier League title challenge this season, lost 2-0 to the Hammers at The Emirates.

Their surprise defeat means Arsene Wenger’s side already have ground to make up on title rivals Manchester City and Manchester United as well as Chelsea.

And England international Oxlade-Chamberlain is confident Arsenal won’t slip-up against the Eagles at Selhurst Park in Sunday’s early kick-off.

“The first game of the season at home, the way we have been playing, we felt we could go out there and get off to a good start – so it was a shock to the system, no doubt,” Oxlade-Chamberlain told Sky Sports. “But it was an early wake-up call.

“The dressing room was very down after the game and we almost had to go around after half an hour of dead silence to pick ourselves up.

“I think we’ve shown over the past few seasons that we’ve got what it takes to go all the way. The key is that is has only been in parts. As a squad, we have to be more consistent because at the end of the day, half a season doesn’t win you the league.

“The manager was very disappointed like we all were. He highlighted the positives from the game though, I think it’s always important.

“There were some good points about the game and he highlighted the areas we need to work on.”

Arsenal impressed during pre-season after Wenger’s side won three trophies, including the Community Shield.

The Gunners manager signed 33-year-old Petr Cech in an £11m deal from defending Premier League champions Chelsea earlier in the summer transfer window.

MORE: Read the latest Arsenal player tweets

Oxlade-Chamberlain endured an injury-hit 2014/15 season which limited the midfielder to one goal in 23 Premier League appearances last season.

Follow @thesportreview on Instagram

MORE:

MORE: The latest football transfer news

MORE: Meet the Premier League's most stylish footballers

MORE: Do you know the top Muslim footballers in the Premier League?

MORE: Man United latest news

MORE: Arsenal FC latest news

MORE: Chelsea FC latest news

MORE: Liverpool FC latest news

Bruno Fernandes
Bruno Fernandes explains why Man United transfer has made him so proud
Jurgen Klopp
Liverpool FC tipped to make ‘phenomenal’ signing to rejuvenate squad
Tammy Abraham
Tammy Abraham warns Man United star to ‘stay away’ from Jadon Sancho
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Man United make contract offer to 19-year-old wanted by Chelsea FC – report
Eden Hazard
Eden Hazard: My first season at Real Madrid after Chelsea FC exit is ‘bad’
Bruno Fernandes
Bruno Fernandes explains why Man United transfer has made him so proud
Top 50 Muslim footballers: Arsenal, Chelsea FC, Liverpool FC and Man United stars feature
Top 50 Muslim footballers: Arsenal, Chelsea FC, Liverpool FC and Man United stars feature
Olympics
Tokyo 2020: Covid-19 forces Olympics and Paralympics to postpone to 2021
Jurgen Klopp
Liverpool FC tipped to make ‘phenomenal’ signing to rejuvenate squad
Mikel Arteta
Mikel Arteta delivers update for Arsenal fans on his coronavirus recovery