Man United transfers: 7 things you need to know about Anthony Martial
Ned Bristow lists seven things Manchester United need to know about Red Devils target Anthony Martial
1) Anthony Martial joined Lyon’s academy in 2009 after being scouted aged just 14, and certainly made a huge impression as he progressed quickly through the age groups. During season playing for their Under-17s side, Martial netted 32 goals in just 21 matches. This led to a first-team debut for the striker the day after his 18th birthday in December 2013. He made his league debut two months later.
2) His four Lyon performances that season clearly made an impression despite the striker scoring no goals as Monaco swooped in with a £3.5m bid for the youngster in June of 2013. He signed a three-year deal and made his Ligue 1 debut for Les Rouges et Blancs in November of that year, nettng two league goals as the club finished runners-up to Paris Saint-Germain in the French top flight. This summer, Martial signed a contract extension until 2019.
3) In his two and a half seasons as a professional, Martial has netted just 13 league goals, all of which have come for Monaco and 10 of which were scored in league action. The forward has been far more prolific on the international stage, where he has represented his country at every age group since under-16s, scoring a total of 25 goals in 51 games for Les Bleus.
4) Despite his apparently weak domestic scoring record, Martial came into his own at the back end of last season. The Monaco man led the attack after Christmas with eight goals in the club’s last 12 matches, including a brace in March’s home victory over Bastia. With separate runs of five and then four consecutive games on the scoresheet during this spell, Martial proved he has the potential to be a consistent goal-scorer.
5) After representing his country over 50 times at youth level, Martial has earned a call up to Didier Deschamps’ senior side for upcoming friendlies with Portugal and Serbia. The forward is the only uncapped member of the current squad and replaces Alexandre Lacazette, which represents a compliment from the France boss and opens the door for Martial to press for a Euro 2016 spot.
6) With just 48 league appearances under his belt, Martial has played more youth internationals than he has Ligue 1 matches. With United’s bid rumoured to be north of £35m, the Red Devils are paying just over £1.35m per league appearance for the youngster. The 19-year-old has netted 10 times in those 48 league games, meaning Louis van Gaal will be forking around £3.5m for each league goal scored by the youngster.
7) At just 19, the Monaco player will have many things to consider if a move to United materialises; not least the uprooting of his young family. Martial posted photos of his newborn daughter to Instagram 10 weeks ago, and the relocating of his wife and child will surely come into the equation when an Old Trafford contract is placed before him.