US Open 2015: Serena Williams tops seedings in Calendar Slam campaign
Serena Williams is the top seed at the 2015 US Open ahead of Simona Halep and Maria Sharapova
World No1 and six-time US Open champion Serena Williams will begin her campaign for a fourth consecutive US title as the top seed when the last Major of the year gets under way in six days’ time in New York.
Williams is one of eight Grand Slam champions who feature among the elite 32-ranked women in the world who make up this year’s 32 seeds.
The woman she beat in last week’s Cincinnati final, Simona Halep, clinched the valuable No2 ranking with that Ohio run, relegating Maria Sharapova, the 2006 US Open champion, to No3.
2014 US Open finalist Caroline Wozniacki, who has played and lost three matches in the US Series, will count herself fortunate to grab the significant No4 ranking from No5 Petra Kvitova in time for the seedings announcement.
The 2008 French Open champion Ana Ivanovic also stole a late top-eight ranking this week to take the No7 seeding at the expense of Wimbledon finalist Garbine Muguruza, who is seeded No9. Lucie Safarova, this year’s French Open finalist, is seeded No6.
Former world No1 and Australian Open champion, Victoria Azarenka, who reached the US Open final in 2012 and 2013, is seeded No20, while two-time US champion Venus Williams is seeded No23.
Two further former champions in New York include 2011 winner Sam Stosur at 22 and 2004 winner Svetlana Kuznetsova at 30.
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova at 31 and Anna Karolina Schmiedlova at 32 grabbed the last two seeded places after both making strong post-Wimbledon surges from Nos40 and 60 respectively.
Serena Williams won her 21st Grand Slam singles title at Wimbledon this summer, taking her to third place behind Margaret Court and Steffi Graf. With her sixth US title last year, Williams tied Chris Evert’s record for the most US singles trophies in the Open Era, and she will this year try to win the first Calendar Slam since Graf in 1988.
The singles draws take place on Thursday 27 August at 11.30am local time, 4.30pm.
US Open 2015: Women’s seeds
1. Serena Williams, United States
2. Simona Halep, Romania
3. Maria Sharapova, Russia
4. Caroline Wozniacki, Denmark
5. Petra Kvitova, Czech Republic
6. Lucie Safarova, Czech Republic
7. Ana Ivanovic, Serbia
8. Karolina Pliskova, Czech Republic
9. Garbiñe Muguruza, Spain
10. Carla Suarez Navarro, Spain
11. Angelique Kerber, Germany
12. Belinda Bencic, Switzerland
13. Ekaterina Makarova, Russia
14. Timea Bacsinszky, Switzerland
15. Agnieszka Radwanska, Poland
16. Sara Errani, Italy
17. Elina Svitolina, Ukraine
18. Andrea Petkovic, Germany
19. Madison Keys, United States
20. Victoria Azarenka, Belarus
21. Jelena Jankovic, Serbia
22. Samantha Stosur, Australia
23. Venus Williams, United States
24. Sabine Lisicki, Germany
25. Eugenie Bouchard, Canada
26. Flavia Pennetta, Italy
27. Alize Cornet, France
28. Irina-Camelia Begu, Romania
29. Sloane Stephens, United States
30. Svetlana Kuznetsova, Russia
31. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, Russia
32. Anna Karolina Schmiedlova, Slovakia