Richest tennis players: Roger Federer tops new rich list
A new rich-list of the top 10 wealthiest tennis players shows that Roger Federer is way ahead of his peers with a net worth of $330m
With the US Open well under way in New York, a new rich-list of the top 10 wealthiest tennis players shows that Roger Federer is way ahead of his peers with a net worth of $330m (£215m).
The fortune of the five-time champion and second-seeded star, arguably the greatest tennis player of all time and the first male player to win 17 Grand Slams, is more than double that of Maria Sharapova, the wealthiest female tennis player on the list, published by wealth intelligence company Wealth-X.
Sharapova has dropped out of this year’s tournament due to a lingering leg injury, clearing the way for overwhelming female singles favourite and top seed Serena Williams.
The American is ranked third on the list of richest tennis players with a $130m (£84.5m) fortune. She has won the US Open for the last three years and a title at Flushing Meadows would give her a clean sweep of all four Grand Slam tournaments in 2015 – and the $3.3m (£2.3m) singles prize money.
Her older sister, Venus Williams, has amassed $70m (£45.5m), and is the sixth wealthiest tennis player on the list.
Top 10 richest tennis players 2015
1. Roger Federer (age 34) – $330m (£215m)
2. Maria Sharapova (28) – $160m (£103m)
3. Serena Williams (33) – $130m (£84.5m)
4. Novak Djokovic (28) – $110m (£71.5m)
5. Rafael Nadal (29) – $80m (£52m)
6. Venus Williams (35) – $70m (£45.5m)
7. Andy Murray (28) – $70m (£45.5m)
8. Victoria Azarenka (26) – $30m (£19.5m)
9. Caroline Wozniacki (25) – $30m (£19.5m)
10. Ana Ivanovic (27) – $25m (£16.2m)
Federer beat John Isner in straight sets to set up a quarter-final clash with Richard Gasquet at the US Open in New York this week.