Arsene Wenger: Why Arsenal did not bid for Man United starlet Anthony Martial
Arsene Wenger says Arsenal did not make an official bid to sign Anthony Martial from Monaco this summer
Arsene Wenger has insisted that Arsenal did not make any official approach to sign Anthony Martial from Monaco this summer.
It had been claimed that the north London side were interested in bringing the 19-year-old striker to Emirates Stadium before the youngster settled on a move to Manchester United on deadline day.
Wenger has made no secret of his interest in signing the player before his transfer to Old Trafford.
However, the Frenchman has revealed that he made no official attempt to lure the striker to Arsenal because it was his understanding that Monaco were not willing to sell the player.
Speaking at a news conference on Friday morning, Wenger said: “Martial was one of the players Monaco didn’t want to sell, so we never made any approach.
“United offered special money. It comes from their own resources. They have the right to do it.”
Martial has been one of United’s standout performers so far this season following his transfer to the club last month.
The forward has netted four goals for the Red Devils and is likely to line up against Arsenal this weekend when United travel to Emirates Stadium in the Premier League on Sunday afternoon.