Martinez delivers latest Everton injury update ahead of Man United clash
Everton manager Roberto Martinez says John Stones should be fit to face Manchester United on Saturday
Roberto Martinez has revealed that Everton defender John Stones should be fit to face Manchester United on Saturday afternoon.
The England centre-half missed the Merseyside outfit’s last two Premier League games before the international break due to a knee problem.
The former Barnsley defender, who wasn’t called up to Roy Hodgson’s England squad, was absent for Everton’s 1-1 draw with Liverpool in the Merseyside derby earlier this month.
But Everton manager Martinez, whose side are seventh in the Premier League table, confirmed that Stones should line up against Louis van Gaal’s side at Goodison Park.
“I think he should be ready,” Martinez told Everton’s website.
“Remember that John has been having a lot of quality work at Finch Farm and it will be a matter of just getting that match fitness.
“We have still got very three important days ahead of that fixture in terms of preparation so we’ll get a better idea on Friday of where John is.
“I would say medically he is ready now. He’s been joining the group and from a medical point of view I don’t think there is a concern or worry.”
Everton centre-half Stones was heavily linked with a move to defending Premier League champions Chelsea in the summer transfer window.
However, the Toffees rejected three offers from the west London side despite the English title holders reportedly offering £30m.
Stones has made six appearances in the Premier League this term, racking up 540 minutes of top-flight action.