Photo: John Terry rallies team-mates ahead of Chelsea v Dynamo Kyiv
Chelsea captain John Terry takes to Instagram ahead of their clash against Dynamo Kyiv on Wednesday night
John Terry has issued a rallying cry to his Chelsea team-mates ahead of their clash against Dynamo Kyiv on Wednesday night.
The Blues skipper was unable to prevent the defending Premier League champions suffering a humiliating 3-1 loss by bitter rivals Liverpool at Stamford Bridge on Saturday afternoon.
However, the 34-year-old is hoping for a more positive evening in west London tonight as he sent a message to his team-mates and supporters ahead of the Champions League game.
Terry wrote on his Instagram page: “Big Game Tonight. Come on Boys ⚽️”
Terry has made 11 appearances in all competitions this season.
Chelsea v Dynamo Kyiv: Match facts
• The London club began their 14th group stage campaign with a 4-0 home win over Maccabi Tel-Aviv before going down 2-1 at Porto.
• Last year Chelsea drew 1-1 at home to Schalke 04 and then beat NK Maribor (6-0) and Sporting Clube de Portugal (3-1) at Stamford Bridge. That meant they won their group for the ninth time in their last 12 campaigns; they finished runners-up in two other years and were eliminated in the group stage only once, in 2012/13.
• In last season’s round of 16, a 2-2 home draw against Paris Saint-Germain (agg: 3-3) meant they went out on away goals.
• Oscar scored in Chelsea’s 3-2 win at home to FC Shakhtar Donetsk in the 2012/13 group stage.
• He had also scored in Chelsea’s 2-1 defeat in the reverse fixture, a loss that helped ensure they would become the first UEFA Champions League holders to fail to get through the group stage.
• Jose Mourinho lifted the Champions League with Porto (2004) and FC Internazionale Milano (2010) and is bidding to become the first head coach to win the European Cup with three different teams.