Chelsea transfers: Jose Mourinho won’t spend £100m in January
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says he won't ask the board for funds in the January transfer window
Jose Mourinho has ruled out spending £100m in the January transfer window on new signings in a bid to resuscitate Chelsea’s season.
The Blue slumped to their ninth Premier League defeat of the season so far after a 2-1 defeat by surprise leaders Leicester City at King Power Stadium on Monday night.
We have these players and it is with these players we have to go
Riyad Mahrez and Jamie Vardy put the Premier League’s pace-setters Leicester into a commanding 2-0 lead before Loic Remy halved the deficit to offer Chelsea late hope.
Chelsea have been linked with a swap deal involving Eden Hazard and Real Madrid playmaker James Rodriguez, whilst Everton centre-half John Stones is another touted target.
However, Mourinho insisted that he wouldn’t go to the board and demand funds in January, adding that he must revive Chelsea’s players using the current members of his squad.
“I don’t think it is right I go to the board and say these players are not good and we need to spend £50m or £100m or whatever,” Mourinho told his post-match media conference.
“We have these players and it is with these players we have to go, and the players that are not performing well must feel attacked in their pride, in their self-esteem and they have to do everything to get results in a humble way.
“I don’t think they can feel they are top players or they are superstars. At the moment they have to be humble, they have to look to the Leicester boys and feel that they are the stars, they are the top players.”
Mourinho signed five players in the summer transfer window, including goalkeeper Asmir Begovic and Colombia striker Radamel Falcao.