Photo: Steven Gerrard sends message to Liverpool ahead of Sion clash
Steven Gerrard is hoping Liverpool can cap a good week for the Premier League in Europe, aside from Man United
Steven Gerrard has urged Liverpool to polish off a decent week for Premier League clubs against Sion in the Europa League on Thursday night.
The Reds need a point to finish top of Group B after booking their place in the last 32 thanks to a 2-1 victory over Bordeaux at Anfield last month.
Liverpool will be looking to make amends for a surprise 2-0 loss to Newcastle United at St James’s in the Premier League on Sunday afternoon.
Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City progressed to the Champions League knockout stage earlier this week, whilst Manchester United were relegated to the Europa League.
And former Liverpool captain Gerrard, who was part of Rafael Benitiez’s Champions League-winning side in 2005, sent a message to the Reds on his Instagram page.
Sion v Liverpool: Match facts
• Sion earned a 1-1 draw at Liverpool on matchday two, in what was Brendan Rodgers’ final European game in charge of the Reds.
• Roy Evans’ Liverpool eliminated Alberto Bigon’s Sion in the 1996/97 Uefa Cup Winners’ Cup second round, winning 2-1 in Switzerland and 6-3 at Anfield.
• Sion were the first visiting team to score three times in a European fixture at Anfield; only FC Barcelona (1-3, 2001), Chelsea FC (1-3, 2009), Udinese Calcio (2-3, 2012) and Real Madrid CF (0-3, 2014) have done so since.
• Those meetings with Liverpool are Sion’s only previous matches against English opponents.
• Liverpool’s 13 outings against Swiss sides have ended W6 D5 L2 (W3 D1 L2 in Switzerland).
Retired England skipper Gerrard scored in Liverpool’s 5-4 victory over Alaves in the Uefa Cup final in Dortmund in 2001 under Gerard Houllier.