Richard Gasquet forced to withdraw from Rotterdam 2016 with injury
Richard Gasquet pulls out of the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam due to injury
Richard Gasquet has been forced to withdraw from the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam, two days after winning his third Montpellier title.
Ranked No10, the Frenchman was the top seed at the Dutch tournament after the last-minute withdrawal of Roger Federer following knee surgery last week.
Gasquet, the defending champion in Montpellier, picked up a groin injury ahead of Sunday’s final, but then also became sick when travelling to Rotterdam.
“I felt pain in the final in the groin, and I am still feeling bad with it, and I feel sick, too,” he said. “So it’s impossible for me to play. Of course, I am very sad: It’s a big tournament for me to play, so very disappointed.
“The day before the [Montpellier] final I was not supposed to play but it was the final so I forced a lot to play, but since that, I have the same injury—but now I am feeling sick too.”
Gasquet had only returned to the tour in Montpellier after back injury forced him to miss the Australian Open. The back, he said, was no longer a problem, but he remains uncertain how long this latest setback will keep him away.
“[Four matches in Montpellier] was a lot for me. I was not supposed to win the tournament because I had not practised so much, and I forced a lot, and I was not ready to play so many matches. Which is why I am not in good shape now. I will try to recover and play as soon as possible.
“Now I need to rest. I don’t want to play if I am not 100 percent here… I need to do exams, to rest, and maybe be able to play in 10 days’ time in Marseille, but I am not sure.”
Gasquet’s place in the draw is taken by lucky loser, world No83 Evgeny Donskoy, who plays Jeremy Chardy tomorrow afternoon.