Ray Wilkins issues warning to Antonio Conte over Chelsea signings
Ray Wilkins says a lack of Champions League football will mean Chelsea struggle attract to lure top targets
Ray Wilkins has warned Antonio Conte that he could struggle to attract his top targets to Chelsea if the Italian becomes the next Blues manager.
The Italy head coach is being widely-tipped to replace interim manager Guus Hiddink at the Stamford Bridge hot seat.
Chelsea are facing an uphill battle to qualify for next season’s Champions League after Manchester United extended their lead to 11 points over the defending champions.
The west London side crashed out of Europe’s premier club competition last week after a 4-2 aggregate defeat by newly-crowned Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain.
Former Chelsea assistant manager Wilkins believes the lack of Champions League football will prove a deterrent for Conte’s potential signings if the ex-Juventus manager takes over at Stamford Bridge.
“He has probably identified the players he wants and it is probably in motion right now,” Wilkins told Sky Sports.
“But the big problem he faces is that they are not going to be playing Champions League football. A couple of the options he may have had could be changing their mind about coming to London.”
Chelsea lost 2-0 to Everton in the FA Cup quarter-final at Goodison Park on Saturday afternoon after former Blues striker Romelu Lukaku scored twice in the final 12 minutes.