Stan Collymore makes bold claim about Man United and Man City
Stan Collymore criticises the spending of Manchester City and Manchester United
Stan Collymore says Manchester City and Manchester United are guilty of wasting transfer funds ahead of the top-four showdown on Sunday afternoon.
The Red Devils missed the chance to hoist themselves above the derby rivals and into the final Champions League qualifying spot on Tuesday night after a 3-2 defeat by West Ham United in the last-ever game at Upton Park.
Those “big” signings aren’t as good as the fees paid for them suggest
Louis van Gaal spent in excess of £100m on new signings last summer, including a £36m deal for Anthony Martial, which could increase to £65m over the next couple of seasons.
City manager Manuel Pellegrini outspent the Dutchman after the Citizens signed Raheem Sterling and Kevin De Bruyne in deals totalling £106m.
Former Liverpool and Nottingham Forest striker Collymore questioned the Manchester clubs lack of progress despite their big spending last year.
“What does it say about our league that the two Manchester sides, having spent anywhere between 500 million and 1.5 billion on players, are in a battle for 4th next Sunday?” Collymore told BoyleSport.
“It says that recruitment these days in Manchester is based on throwing money around willy nilly rather than having a cohesive and structured recruitment policy, and also tells me that as the Champions prepare for Sunday with that double digit lead over both clubs, those “big” signings aren’t as good as the fees paid for them suggest.”
United host Bournemouth on the final day of the Premier League season, while City make the trip to Swansea City.