Graeme Souness questions new Chelsea signing
Graeme Souness is unsure about new Chelsea signing Michy Batshuayi
Graeme Souness isn’t sure whether Michy Batshuayi is ready for the responsibility of leading the Chelsea front-line ahead of the new Premier League campaign.
The Belgium international completed a £33m move to the west London side from Ligue 1 side Marseille last month as Antonio Conte looked to bolster his attacking options.
The 23-year-old centre-forward scored a credible 17 goals in 33 Ligue 1 appearances for l’OM last season which attracted interest from the 2015 Premier League champions.
Conte still has Spain international Diego Costa in his Blues squad as well as France striker Loic Remy as Chelsea look to improve on their tenth-place finish last term.
However, former Liverpool captain Souness isn’t convinced Batshuayi is the solution up front for the west London side.
“Batshuayi is only 23 years old but couldn’t get himself into the Belgium team at the Euros, he wasn’t a regular,” said Souness. “It’s a hell of a lot of responsibility for a young man, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Chelsea go again in that area,” Souness told Sky Sports.
“Costa is making noises now that suggest he’s not entirely happy at Chelsea, but then the fact that Atletico have gone and signed a striker in Kevin Gameiro suggests that maybe they have filled that role. It will be interesting to see whether Chelsea think Batshuayi is enough.”
Chelsea will start their Premier League campaign with a home clash against London rivals West Ham United at Stamford Bridge on Monday night.
The west London side struggled to defend their Premier League title last term as Jose Mourinho was sacked and replaced by interim manager Guus Hiddink.
Conte won three successive Serie A titles during his successful spell in charge of Italian giants Juventus.