Antonio Conte explains how Cesc Fabregas fits into his Chelsea plans
The Chelsea manager discusses what Cesc Fabregas must do at Stamford Bridge
Antonio Conte says Cesc Fabregas will continue to compete with Nemanja Matic, N’Golo Kante and Nathaniel Chalobah after his impressive performance in Chelsea’s 3-1 win at Manchester City earlier this month.
The Spain international started his second Premier League game under Chelsea’s new manager following injury to Matic ahead of their top of the table clash at the Etihad Stadium.
Fabregas produced an impressive performance alongside Kante despite his lack of first-team football and the former Arsenal captain even conjured an assist for Diego Costa’s equaliser.
The 29-year-old midfielder has been facing an uncertain future at the Stamford Bridge outfit under Conte since the Italian took charge of the west London club in the summer.
However, the Chelsea boss has provided an update on Fabregas ahead of the 2017 January transfer window.
“I hope to have this difficult decision in every game, it means I have great competition in my squad and the level is improving,” Conte told his pre-match media conference at Cobhham on Friday.
“Cesc played a good game against City and took his opportunity. Now for the next game I have a choice of four midfielders – Kante, Matic, Fabregas and Chalobah – and I have to take the best decision for the team.
“It’s very important that we have good competition. If I have to put out the same line-up it’s not good.”
Conte was named the Premier League’s manager of the month for November after the Blues managed to maintain a 100 per cent record in the English top flight.
Chelsea finished in tenth place last season.