Antonio Conte opens up about Nathan Ake’s return to Chelsea
Antonio Conte has his say on Nathan Ake's return to Chelsea following his loan spell at Bournemouth
Antonio Conte says that Nathan Ake’s improvement over the last 18 months is what prompted him to recall the defender from his loan spell at Bournemouth.
The defender linked up with his team-mate at Cobham last week after Conte opted to bring the Dutchman back to Stamford Bridge.
Ake earned plenty of praise for his performances for Bournemouth during his loan spell with Eddie Howe’s men and scored the winner against Liverpool earlier in the season.
The youngster will now be hoping to fight his way into the first team at Stamford Bridge following his return to the club.
And Conte has explained the reasons why he has opted to bring Ake back to Stamford Bridge this month.
Speaking at a news conference on Friday morning, Conte said: “I’m very pleased for him to stay with us. In this one-year-and-a-half he has improved a lot. This shows that it’s important for a young player born in the Academy to go and play on loan, and then, when they are ready, come back and play with us.
“Ake is a really good example. He is a good player, very young but with a good personality. He can play as a central defender, in the middle or on the left, he could play as a wing-back.
“It’s important now to work with us. He’s trained with us only a few days. It’s important for him to have a bit of time to go into our idea of football and adapt, and then be under consideration.”
Chelsea are currently leading the way at the top of the Premier League table as they look to improve significantly on their 10th-placed finish last term.