Antonio Conte provides latest Chelsea transfer update on Diego Costa
The Chelsea manager says that Diego Costa will stay with two years remaining on his contract
Antonio Conte is confident that Diego Costa will stay at Chelsea after the striker scored on his return to the manager’s starting line-up in their 2-0 win against Hull City at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.
Costa missed Chelsea’s 3-0 win against defending champions Leicester City due to a back injury, although reports in the media suggested that Conte and Costa had fallen out over speculation linking the striker with a move to China.
The Spain international trained with the Chelsea squad last week ahead of the visit of the Tigers and Conte opted to start with the controversial centre-forward in his starting line-up.
And Conte’s faith in the 28-year-old was rewarded after Costa broke the deadlock against a stubborn Hull side in added time at the end of the first half.
The former Atletico Madrid striker has now scored 15 times in 20 games in the Premier League this term.
Speaking at his post-match media conference after Chelsea’s 2-0 win against Hull, Conte discussed Costa’s long-term future at Stamford Bridge.
“Diego has two years left on his contract. He’s very happy to stay with us and play for Chelsea. Now we must concentrate on the present and not look too far ahead,” Conte said.
“If we do that we risk losing the present, and that’s more important than the future.”