Insider’s response when asked if Atletico Madrid forward will sign for Man United in the summer
Guillem Balague pours cold water on talk of Manchester United signing Yannick Ferreira Carrasco unless Diego Simeone's leaves
Yannick Ferreira Carrasco’s future at Atletico Madrid hinges on whether Diego Simeone will remain in charge at Vicente Calderon beyond the end of the season, according to Guillem Balague.
Earlier this week, Metro quoted reports in Spain that suggested Manchester United are interested in a move for the Atletico attacking midfielder.
The Sun reported on Monday morning that Chelsea are interested in signing the highly-rated Belgium international as a potential replacement for want-away Diego Costa.
Carrasco is reported to have an £86m contract release clause as Atletico attempt to warn off potential suitors in the 23-year-old playmaker.
Asked whether Chelsea or Manchester United could sign the Belgian forward, Sky Sports expert Balague said:
“Atletico Madrid are in a position where they don’t need to let anybody go and they have the finances to keep players. The main issue is if Simeone stays,” Balague said.
“If he stays he will want the same team to be improved on and will not want to sell any of their stars like Carrasco.”
Carrasco has scored 15 times in 62 appearances in all competitions following his move to Atletico from Belgian outfit Genk in 2015.
Manchester United signed four players in the summer transfer window as Jose Mourinho looked to revamp his squad following his appointment.
Chelsea, on the other hand, recruited five new players.