Antonio Conte sends surprising message to Chelsea fans about Alvaro Morata
Antonio Conte says Alvaro Morata was always Chelsea's first-choice target this summer ahead of Romelu Lukaku
Antonio Conte has insisted that Alvaro Morata was always Chelsea’s first-choice striker to sign this summer.
That may come as a surprise to many, given how Romelu Lukaku’s transfer situation played out.
Chelsea were heavily linked with a move to bring Lukaku back to Stamford Bridge for much of the summer, but Manchester United ended up making a late move to bring him to Old Trafford.
The 24-year-old Belgian forward signed for Manchester United from Everton earlier this month, paving the way for Morata’s move to Chelsea.
However, Conte has insisted that Morata was always Chelsea’s first choice in this summer’s transfer window.
Speaking at a news conference in China on Friday, Conte said: “It is very important the choice. Morata for sure is our first choice.
“He is a good player, the right prospect for Chelsea and hopes to show his value with us.”
Morata will be hoping to help Chelsea retain their Premier League title next season after the Blues won the trophy last term.
Conte is also gearing his side up for a return to the Champions League after the west London side missed out on a place in Europe’s elite club competition last term.