RB Leipzig boss sends open message to Liverpool fans about Naby Keita
Ralph Hasenhuttl says that it is "100 per cent" clear that reported Liverpool target Naby Keita will stay at RB Leipzig this summer
RB Leipzig manager Ralph Hasenhuttl has insisted that it is “100 per cent” clear that Naby Keita will stay at the club this summer after the speculation linking him with Liverpool.
The 22-year-old Guinea international has been heavily linked with a transfer to Anfield in recent weeks as Jurgen Klopp looks to bolster his midfield ahead of his second full season in charge at the club.
Liverpool are thought to have made at least two bids for the midfielder this summer but their efforts have been turned away by Leipzig, who only signed Keita from Salzburg last summer.
However, Leipzig boss Hasenhuttl has now underlined that Keita is set to stay at the club beyond the summer as the Bundesliga outfit prepare for campaign in the Champions League.
Speaking on Saturday after his team’s Emirates Cup opener in London, Hasenhuttl said: “The chance [of Liverpool signing Keita] is null.
“It’s 100 per cent clear that Naby will play this year in Leipzig.
“In the beginning of the transfer period we said that no-one will go, and that will be our answer now also.
“Everyone can see how important Naby is for our game. I’m 100 per cent sure that he will be with us [next season].
“When you play such a famous season like last year, it’s normal that players get interest and that other clubs are watching us.
“[But] it’s very important for the players to play for the first year in the Champions League [with Leipzig].”
He added: “He’s changed. He’s more focused on us. Because he knows that this year will be very fantastic for us. He’s as focused as last year, or even more.”
Liverpool have made three signings so far this summer, having landed Dominic Solanke, Mohamed Salah and Andy Robertson ahead of their return to the Champions League next season.
The Reds finished fourth in the Premier League table last term.