Martin Keown sends message to Cesc Fabregas after Chelsea’s 3-2 loss to Burnley
Martin Keown has his say on Cesc Fabregas' sending off during Chelea's 3-2 humiliating defeat by Burnley
Martin Keown told Cesc Fabregas that he can have no complaints after he was sent off in Chelsea’s humiliating 3-2 opening-day defeat by Burnley on Saturday.
The Spaniard was shown a second yellow card in the 81st minute at Stamford Bridge after a foul on Jack Cork.
Chelsea had already had Gary Cahill sent off early in the game to leave them with an uphill struggle.
And former Arsenal star Keown was not particularly impressed by Fabregas’ tackle late on at Stamford Bridge.
Keown told BBC Sport’s Football Focus: “Fabregas has gone in again with the studs.
“It is not as bad as Cahill’s, but he knows that once you are on a yellow card, you need to be careful going into a challenge.
“Very rarely now do you see players going in at the side. It has crept into the game and they need to eradicate it.”
Burnley went 3-0 up before half-time, with Alvaro Morata and David Luiz pulling two goals back after the break.
However, it was not enough for Antonio Conte’s men, as the west London side slumped to a humiliating defeat by the Clarets at Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea will now be without both Cahill and Fabregas for their next Premier League game – a trip to Wembley to take on Tottenham Hotspur next Sunday.
It has not been a good start to the season for the Blues, with Conte’s men having also lost to Arsenal in the Community Shield at Wembley last weekend.