Chelsea ready to offer £22m to make 30-year-old fifth summer signing – report
Chelsea are preparing a £22m offer to sign Inter Milan midfielder Antonio Candreva this summer, according to reports in Italy
Chelsea are prepared to offer £22m to sign Inter Milan midfielder Antonio Candreva, according to reports in Italy.
Premium Sport, as quoted by Football Italia, is reporting that the Premier League champions are prepared to make a €25m [£22m] to secure Candreva’s signature.
The article reveals that Chelsea manager Antonio Conte is a long-term admirer of the 30-year-old midfielder and the Italian coach wants his compatriot at Stamford Bridge.
Candreva worked with the Blues boss during Conte’s spell in charge of the Italian national team before quitting after the European championship last summer.
The experienced Inter midfielder scored six goals and made 10 assists in 38 appearances in Serie A last season following his move to the San Siro from Lazio in the 2016 summer transfer window.
The Premier League champions have already signed four players in the current transfer market as Conte prepares for a return to the Champions League this season.
The Blues have signed Willy Caballero, Antonio Rudiger, Tiemoue Bakayoko and Alvaro Morata to bolster their title-winning squad.
Fact file: Antonio Candreva
– Antonio Candreva has played for eight Italian clubs during a 11-year professional career so far, including Juventus, Lazio and Inter Milan.
– The 30-year-old scored 45 times in 192 appearances during a five-season stint at Lazio before moving to Inter in a €22m in 2016.
– Candreva was unable to help Inter avoid a disappointing seventh-place finish in the Serie A table in the 2016-17 season.
– The experienced midfielder has scored six goals in 47 appearances for the Italian national team.
– Candreva is perhaps best remembered by England fans for his outstanding performance in a 2-1 victory over the Three Lions at the 2014 World Cup.