Chris Sutton sends warning to Chelsea about summer transfers
The Chelsea legend warns Antonio Conte that he needs some more signings before the close of the summer transfer window
Chris Sutton believes Chelsea has been left behind in the summer transfer window ahead of the defence of their title.
The Blues won the Premier League crown with two games to spare last season in Antonio Conte’s first campaign in England.
However, Chelsea have already sold one key member of that title-winning team to a direct rival after Nemanja Matic completed a £40m switch to Manchester United last month.
Diego Costa has also been told that he is free to leave the Premier League champions this summer amid talk of a potential switch to AC Milan or Atletico Madrid.
The west London side have signed four players to prepare for a return to the Champions League, but there have been six departures including Matic.
Chelsea signed Manchester City reserve goalkeeper Willy Caballero, AS Roma defender Antonio Rudiger, Monaco midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko and Real Madrid striker Alvaro Morata.
Former Blues striker Sutton claimed that Chelsea have fallen behind their title rivals Manchester City and Manchester United due to their summer transfer activity.
“Man City and Man United have done their business. Chelsea and Spurs have been left behind,” Sutton told BBC Radio 5 Live.
Nine-man Chelsea suffered a surprise 3-2 loss to Burnley in their opening Premier League game on Saturday.
Chelsea lost to Arsenal in the Community Shield at Wembley last weekend after Thibaut Courtois and Morata missed their spot-kicks in the penalty shootout.