Antonio Conte opens up about Eden Hazard ahead of Tottenham v Chelsea
Antonio Conte delivers the latest news on Eden Hazard ahead of Chelsea's trip to Tottenham on Sunday
Antonio Conte has told Chelsea fans that he will not rush Eden Hazard back to action too soon ahead of the Blues’ trip to Tottenham on Sunday.
The Belgian playmaker has been out of action since the start of the summer after he suffered a broken ankle while on international duty and had an operation to fix the problem.
Hazard returned to full training last week and was pictured taking part in a private friendly game against Queens Park Rangers at Cobham.
However, Conte has hinted that Hazard is not yet fit to start for Chelsea, but stopped short of ruling him out of the Blues’ trip to Wembley to take on Spurs.
Speaking at his pre-match news conference at Cobham on Friday, Conte said: “Hazard is improving but to be fully fit he needs time.
“We must have patience with him and try to do the best for him. At the moment some players are not 100 per cent fit.”
He continued: “My only worry is when you try to put the players back very early, the risk of getting an injury is high. This is my worry.
“The physical condition could not be 100 per cent but we have to face this situation.”
Chelsea fans will be hoping to see the 26-year-old back in action for the Blues as soon as possible after their surprise defeat by Burnley at Stamford Bridge last week.
The west London side are aiming to defend their Premier League title this season while also mounting a challenge in the Champions League, with the Blues set to compete in the group stage of Europe’s elite club competition starting from next month.