Graeme Souness sends warning to Liverpool about £100m offer for 25-year-old attacker
The Liverpool legend says the Reds should accept a £100m offer for Philippe Coutinho or risk a season of poor performances from the Brazilian
Graeme Souness has warned Liverpool about the perils of turning down a £100m offer for Philippe Coutinho from Barcelona.
The Spanish giants are looking to sign the Liverpool number 10 to replace Neymar after the Brazil forward moved to Paris Saint-Germain in a world-record £198m deal earlier this month.
Liverpool have already fended off bids of £80m and £90m from Barcelona in the summer transfer window so far and the Reds are adamant that the South American playmaker will not be sold.
However, Coutinho handed in transfer request last week and the Liverpool star missed their last two fixtures against Watford and Hoffenheim albeit due to a back problem.
The Merseyside outfit will host Crystal Palace at Anfield on Saturday afternoon before Liverpool face German side Hoffenheim in the return leg of their Champions League playoff next week.
Former Liverpool captain Souness implied that Coutinho’s performances could suffer a sharp drop if the Reds reject a £100m offer from Barcelona.
“Liverpool can’t afford to turn down £100m for Coutinho if that’s the figure we are talking about,” Souness told Irish television station TV3.
“If they were to resist, what sort of Coutinho would Liverpool have for the next year?”
Liverpool were 2-1 winners against Bundesliga outfit Hoffenheim in the first leg of their Champions League playoff on Tuesday night thanks to goals from Trent Alexander-Arnold and James Milner.
The Reds signed Coutinho in an £8.5m deal from Serie A giants Inter Milan in the 2013 January transfer window.