Antonio Conte delivers fresh Chelsea update on Eden Hazard
Antonio Conte delivers the latest news on Eden Hazard and his recovery from an ankle injury
Antonio Conte has told Chelsea fans that Eden Hazard is now close to being fully fit for the Blues after recovering from an ankle injury.
The Belgian playmaker has yet to start a game for Chelsea this season after undergoing ankle surgery at the start of the summer and spending most of the off-season working on his rehabilitation.
Hazard came on as a second-half substitute during Chelsea’s goalless draw with Arsenal at Stamford Bridge on Sunday but was unable to help the Blues find a winner against the Gunners.
But Conte says that the 26-year-old is now close to being fully fit again as he considers starting Hazard for Chelsea’s League Cup clash against Nottingham Forest on Wednesday night.
Speaking at his post-match news conference at Stamford Bridge on Sunday, Conte said of Hazard: “The last 20 minutes Hazard played very well.
“Now on Wednesday he will have the possibility to start the game against Nottingham Forest and then to complete his recovery.
“We hope everything will be OK after this game.”
Hazard was a key player for Chelsea last season as the Blues won the Premier League title in Conte’s first campaign in charge at Stamford Bridge.
The Blues kicked off their Champions League campaign this season with a thumping 6-0 win over Qarabag last week, another game in which Hazard was a late substitute.
Chelsea lost to Arsenal in the FA Cup final in May as they missed out on winning a domestic double last term.