Cesc Fabregas sends clear message for Chelsea fans
Cesc Fabregas reflects on Chelsea's 1-0 loss to Manchester City in the Premier League title race on Saturday
Cesc Fabregas has insisted that Chelsea’s loss to Manchester City last weekend will soon be put behind them as they look to get their Premier League title bid back on track.
Manchester City were broadly applauded for their impressive performance at Stamford Bridge as Pep Guardiola’s men claimed a 1-0 victory over the defending champions thanks to Kevin De Bruyne’s brilliant second-half winner.
The defeat left Chelsea in fourth place in the Premier League table and six points behind leaders Manchester City after seven games of the new campaign.
Fabregas is bidding to try and help Chelsea defend their Premier League title this season as the 30-year-old looks to try and win the trophy for the third time since his arrival in west London back in 2014.
And the former Arsenal captain insists that there is a long way to go in the title race as he told fans not to draw conclusions from Sunday’s defeat.
Speaking to Chelsea’s website, Fabregas said: “They [Manchester City] are a great team. We know that. They had won their last two games, much in the same manner that we did, so congratulations to them.
“This was without a doubt the same Chelsea of last season, but what happened was that we came up against a City side who went into the game much better rested than we did. Nothing more.
“This time last year we were eight points behind, but it doesn’t mean anything. There is still a long way to go in all competitions.”
Chelsea return to Premier League action after the international break with a trip to struggling Crystal Palace on Saturday 14 October.
The west London side won the title in style last season in Antonio Conte’s first campaign in charge at the club.