Cesc Fabregas sends open Chelsea message to Antonio Conte
Cesc Fabregas says Antonio Conte has helped him to develop his game this season at Chelsea
Cesc Fabregas has thanked Antonio Conte for having the trust in him to help improve the defensive side of his game at Chelsea.
The Spanish midfielder initially struggled to hold down a regular starting spot in the first team at Stamford Bridge following Conte’s appointment at the club in the summer of 2016.
However, the 30-year-old has been a much more regular fixture in the Chelsea team so far this season and has played a key role in helping the Blues up to third place in the table.
Fabregas has started 12 of Chelsea’s 14 Premier League games for the Blues after having won over the trust of Conte this season.
And the former Arsenal captain has credited the Chelsea boss with helping him to significantly improve his game at Stamford Bridge this term.
Speaking at a news conference at Cobham on Monday, Spain star Fabregas said: “I have to adapt myself, especially defensively to a new role.
“It is not the biggest of my strengths but I still had to adapt. Last season I think the boss would never have trusted me to play in a 3-4-3 every game and I think he does now.
“That means he has seen something improving in me every day in training and during the games.
“I am 30, you never stop learning in football and this what I am doing. I am learning a lot under him and I am very proud of that and happy. Hopefully it is not the end and there is much more to come.”
Chelsea now switch their attentions back to Premier League affairs and their crunch clash against West Ham United at the London Stadium on Saturday lunchtime.
The Blues are aiming to try and defend their title after winning the trophy for the second time in three years last season following Conte’s appointment back in 2016.