Ray Wilkins tells Antonio Conte to get Chelsea to attack more

Chelsea and England legend Ray Wilkins insists Antonio Conte must drop defensive tactics.

By Dan Betts
Chelsea striker Alvaro Morata Photo: Alvaro Morata/Instagram

Ray Wilkins has urged Chelsea manager Antonio Conte to ditch their defensive style at home.

Ex-Chelsea star Wilkins believes that the attacking players at the club and home advantage gives the club free license to grab goals rather than putting the brakes on and playing safe.

Current Champions Chelsea have scored fewer goals than Manchester City, Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool so far this campaign ahead of the 15th round of fixtures.

They do boast the third most impressive defence after conceding just 11 goals so far ahead of the visit of Newcastle on Saturday.

Wilkins wants Chelsea and Conte to focus on their attack though, and with the likes of Eden Hazard, Alvaro Morata, Francesc Fabregas and Willian in the squad, the title holders have plenty of goal options.

Wilkins told SportingBet:

“At Stamford Bridge, they should be more attacking and go for it, sling in all the attacking players and have a goal fest.”

“Chelsea don’t need to pack out the midfield with players, as they dominate possession most of the time at home anyway. They’re playing reserved, just go for it.”

Wilkins highlighted the tactical elements of Conte this season, as well as the lack of attacking intent from the Blues.

“Italian coaches are much more cagey, looking at the tactical aspects, but sometime you just need to let players loose,” Wilkins added.

Last season saw goals aplenty for the Blues when they won the title.

They not only won the league, but were the second-highest scorers, just one goal behind Tottenham.

Chelsea currently lie in 3rd place in the table, and need to overhaul the big gap in points between them and runaway leaders Manchester City, who have bagged the most goals this season too.

Goals from Hazard and Morata sealed a 3-1 comeback win over Newcastle on Saturday afternoon.

MORE: Latest Chelsea news and views

MORE: Football transfer rumours and gossip

Follow @thesportreview on Instagram

MORE:

MORE: The latest football transfer news

MORE: Meet the Premier League's most stylish footballers

MORE: Do you know the top Muslim footballers in the Premier League?

MORE: Man United latest news

MORE: Arsenal FC latest news

MORE: Chelsea FC latest news

MORE: Liverpool FC latest news

Jurgen Klopp
Jurgen Klopp told Kylian Mbappe would become a ‘king’ at Liverpool FC
Paul Pogba
Bruno Fernandes sends clear message to Man United star Paul Pogba
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Dimitar Berbatov predicts where Chelsea FC, Man United will finish
Paul Pogba
‘You’re not getting near him’: Man United defender raves about midfielder
Paul Pogba
Dimitar Berbatov sends warning to Man United about Paul Pogba return
Gary Neville
Gary Neville explains the ‘mistake’ Arsenal have made with key forward
Top 50 Muslim footballers: Arsenal, Chelsea FC, Liverpool FC and Man United stars feature
Top 50 Muslim footballers: Arsenal, Chelsea FC, Liverpool FC and Man United stars feature
Rafael Nadal (Photo: Marianne Bevis)
Birthday boy Rafael Nadal ‘trying to stay positive’ – just like always
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Dimitar Berbatov predicts where Chelsea FC, Man United will finish
John Barnes
John Barnes compares Liverpool FC to title-winning Man City side