Cesar Azpilicueta: What I really think about new Chelsea signing
Cesar Azpilicueta issues his backing for Ross Barkley following his move to Chelsea FC from Everton this month
Cesar Azpilicueta has said that he has been impressed by Ross Barkley’s application at Chelsea FC since his move to Stamford Bridge this month.
The 24-year-old midfielder became the Blues’ first signing of the January transfer window at the turn of the year when he joined the west London side from Everton.
Barkley made his first appearance for his new club when he came on as a substitute in Chelsea FC’s 2-1 League Cup semi-final defeat by Arsenal at The Emirates on Wednesday night.
The England international has been getting used to life at Stamford Bridge in recent days and he will be hoping to be able to hold down a regular spot in the first team in the coming weeks and months.
And Azpilicueta is backing the midfielder to develop into a key player for the west London side in the coming weeks and months.
Speaking to Chelsea FC’s website, Azpilicueta said: “Ross came with a great attitude, really working hard to adapt to the team.
“We know he is coming back from a long injury. He played with the Under-23s last week and then he came on straight away without even warming up [against Arsenal], so he is on the right path and I am sure he will be very important for the team.”
Both Barkley and Azpilicueta will be hoping to feature for Chelsea FC when the Blues return to FA Cup action on Sunday with a fourth-round clash against Newcastle United at Stamford Bridge.
Antonio Conte’s men are aiming to go one step further this season as they look to try and win the FA Cup after losing in the final to Arsenal last year.