Reporter explains why Chelsea FC won’t sign top 31-year-old striker
Sky Sports News reporter Kaveh Solhekol rules out Chelsea FC signing Edin Dzeko before Wednesday's transfer deadline
Chelsea FC won’t be signing Edin Dzeko after the defending Premier League champions failed to agree terms with the AS Roma striker, according to reporter Kaveh Solhekol.
The Premier League title holders are in the market to sign a proven goal-scorer to ease the workload on summer signing Alvaro Morata for the second half of the 2017-18 season.
The £58m signing has struggled with a lack of confidence and form over the past couple of months following an underwhelming return two goals in his last 11 games in all competitions.
Dzeko emerged as their top target over the past week or so given the Bosnia international’s previous experience in the Premier League during a four and a half season spell at Manchester City.
Indeed, the 31-year-old is a two-time Premier League winner, while the veteran striker got his hands on the FA Cup and the League Cup during his spell at the Etihad Stadium.
Sky Sports News reporter Solhekol confirmed that Chelsea FC are no longer in the market to sign Dzeko in the current transfer window.
“They have decided not to go ahead with a move for Edin Dzeko,” Solhekol told Sky Sports News on Tuesday morning.
“A deal was in place for Dzeko to move to Stamford Bridge but he couldn’t agree personal terms with Chelsea FC.
“We’re told Chelsea FC were unwilling to give him the three-and-a-half year deal he was asking for. That would have gone against Chelsea FC club policy when it comes to giving contracts to players over 30.”
Defending Premier League champions Chelsea FC signed England international Ross Barkley in a £15m deal from Premier League rivals Everton earlier in the January transfer window.