Pat Nevin explains why he’s worried about new Chelsea signing
Pat Nevin explains why he was concerned by Chelsea's signing of Ross Barkley from Everton this month
Pat Nevin has admitted his concern about Chelsea’s signing of Ross Barkley from Everton in the January transfer window.
The Blues completed a deal to land the 24-year-old midfielder last week after he was heavily linked with a move to Stamford Bridge in the summer months.
Barkley has signed a five-and-a-half year contract with the Blues, who are widely reported to have paid just £15m for his services due to him being in the final few months of his deal at Everton.
However, former Chelsea star Nevin has admitted his concern about the deal because he claims that the move was not pushed through by manager Antonio Conte.
Speaking to Irish radio station Newstalk, Nevin said: “Conte said immediately that he [Barkley] wasn’t his choice. That’s not a good thing.”
Chelsea are currently preparing for their Premier League clash against Leicester City on Saturday as they look to try and climb the table.
The Blues find themselves in third place in the table as they bid to try and get as close to Manchester City as possible.
The west London side, who won the title last term, will take on Barcelona in the last 16 of the Champions League next month as they look to try and reach the quarter-finals of Europe’s elite club competition.