Ex-manager reveals the signing Chelsea must make this month
Mike Phelan says Chelsea need to bring in a new striker in the January transfer window
Mike Phelan believes that Chelsea need to bring in a new striker in the January transfer window.
The Blues are bound to be linked with a host of players in the coming weeks as the mid-season window gives Antonio Conte the chance to bolster his squad at Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea have already made their first signing of the January transfer window after completing a deal to land Ross Barkley from Everton last week.
It has been suggested that the west London side could do with some more attacking reinforcements after Conte opted to allow Diego Costa to leave the club last year.
And former Manchester United coach Phelan does indeed believe that the Blues would be wise to bring in a new striker as back-up to Alvaro Morata this month.
Speaking to Sky Sports News on Monday morning, Phelan said: “Antonio Conte seems to be short in that department [strikers].
“He seems to have one or two forwards that aren’t getting a look in.
“Centre-forwards are valuable, especially centre-forwards who score goals, because not all of them do. That’s what you invest in, that’s what you want, and they can change the course of your season.
“Chelsea will be in the market all the time for good players.”
Chelsea are currently preparing for the first leg of their League Cup semi-final clash against Arsenal at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday night.
The two London sides played out a thrilling 2-2 draw at Stamford Bridge in the Premier League last weekend.
Chelsea are also set to take on FC Barcelona in the last 16 of the Champions League next month.